The 15th edition of the Global Art Forum, commissioned by Shumon Basar, is entitled ‘This is the Picture’ and examines the worlds of digital artefacts and crypto economies. The programme is in dialogue with the new Art Dubai Digital section. This year’s forum will take place on March 11-13, 2022, during Art Dubai at Madinat Jumeirah.
We have seen a Great Reversal over the last decade: online is no longer secondary to offline. Are we now extensions of our screens? We are seeing new values emerge from new virtual assets, as scarcity of digital space and objects can finally be measured. Art and culture have always mirrored social and technological change. Where are we heading next?
‘This is the Picture’ invites artists, curators, creators, thinkers and technologists to explore sessions around:
- Innovative NFT art platforms and projects featured at Art Dubai Digital and beyond
- Digital communities, also known as Decentralized Autonomous Organizations
- The promises and perils of a Web 3.0 world
- Crypto Subcultures and the Meme Economy
- The emerging aesthetics of blockchain oriented art and its art historical precedents
- How legacy audiences and institutions are engaging with these accelerated developments
These lectures, discussions and conversations — combining in-situ sessions with live video appearances — will be like a revealing screenshot of our evolving times.